Expert legal advice for the oil and gas industry
We advise domestic and international companies on all aspects of the oil and gas supply chain including upstream (exploration and production, permitting and access arrangements and establishment advice), midstream (transmission, pipelines and distribution) and downstream (procurement of production facilities and the marketing and offtake of fuels, lubricants and petrochemical products).
Our sector expertise ranges from petroleum procurement and supply projects for the New Zealand and Pacific Island Governments through to private sector oil exploration and production and procurement of large-scale petrochemical plants.
We have advised:
- Vector on its sale of subsidiary Vector Gas, owner of gas transmission pipelines and gas distribution networks outside of Auckland, to two infrastructure funds managed by First State Investments for $952.5m
- Z Energy on the debt capital raising and competition law aspects of its $785m purchase of Chevron New Zealand's Caltex service station network
- Shell and Maui Development on matters associated with its sale of the Maui natural gas pipeline to investment funds managed by First State Investments for $335m
- Methanex on development work related to the upgrade of its existing methanol production facilities in New Zealand
- Beach Energy on its petroleum exploration interests in New Zealand
- Z Energy on the selldown by Infratil and the NZ Superannuation Fund (Z’s founding investors) of a 29% (circa $710m) stake in Z Energy
- Shell on a broad range of competition, commercial, tax and dispute resolution matters relating to its operations in New Zealand, including on the 2010 divestment of its downstream business (which later became Z Energy) for circa $900m
- Woodside Energy (the developer) on construction matters relating to its AU$40b LNG Liquefaction Project in Western Australia (Browse LNG)
- Vector on a broad range of commercial and regulatory issues related to its gas transmission pipelines and related gas contracts, its natural gas and LPG distribution arrangements and its gas trading businesses
- Z Energy on a broad range of other corporate and commercial matters, including its 2013 $840m IPO and NZX and ASX listing, New Zealand's largest private sector IPO for a decade
- Egyptian Refining Company on the design and construction of an oil refinery at Mostorod, Egypt, which was then Africa's largest ever project financing
- Powerco on a range of corporate, commercial, financing, property and regulatory matters relating to its gas and electricity businesses
- Pacific Island government entities in Tonga, Samoa and the Solomon Islands on commercial, procurement, regulatory and law reform projects relating to their oil and gas supplies, and associated regulatory frameworks, and
- international oil and gas companies in a range of major disputes and international arbitration proceedings.