Market leaders in the provision of legal advice to New Zealand's power sector
We advise on the full range of legal issues relating to the development, use and regulation of power supply.
We are key legal advisors to Mighty River Power (now Mercury), one of New Zealand’s leading electricity generators/retailers. We also provide a broad range of advice to Transpower, the sole owner operator of New Zealand’s national grid, as a key member of its legal panel and Vector, Powerco and Orion, New Zealand’s number one, two and three network utilities.
We have advised:
- on all three of the New Zealand Government’s Mixed Ownership Model transactions involving state-owned energy companies: Mighty River Power (now Mercury ($1.7b), Genesis Energy ($736m) and Meridian Energy ($1.88b)
- Mighty River Power (now Mercury), as its key legal advisor over a long period, on a wide range of projects including the establishment and operation of many of its geothermal power stations (Kawerau, Nga Awa Purua, Ngatamariki), and ongoing construction, consenting and operations and maintenance work relating to its substantial portfolio of hydro assets
- Vector on major commercial transactions including its $20m acquisition of all the shares of Arc Innovations, Meridian Energy’s smart metering business, including on associated long term electricity meter supply agreement negotiations, and previously on its acquisition of Contact Energy’s metering business. We continue to advise Vector on a broad range of commercial and regulatory issues related to its electricity and smart metering businesses
- Powerco on the full range of corporate, commercial, competition, financing, property and regulatory matters relating to its electricity and gas businesses
- Transpower on:
- regulatory and planning matters, including advocating in relation to the Auckland Unitary Plan and its engagement with the Electricity Commission on grid investment approval processes and commercial issues
- aspects of major grid upgrade projects including the consenting of its Wairakei to Whakamaru Replacement Transmission Line Project and the construction contracts for its North Auckland Grid Upgrade Project
- the Solomon Islands Electricity Authority on four renewable energy projects in the Solomon Islands, including the proposed Tina River Hydro Development Project, which involves the development of a new 20MW hydro power plant and will be the Solomon Islands' first PPP
- the InfraRed Capital Partners Consortium on the development of a 100MW open cycle gas turbine power plant which is being procured by Nova Energy, a subsidiary of Todd Corporation
- Te Ahi O Maui on the development of a 25MW geothermal power plant. The development includes both the initial drilling operations for geothermal fluids from the Kawerau reservoir and the design and construction of the power plant
- Meridian Energy, New Zealand Steel, New Zealand Sugar, Switch Utilities and Powership in successful High Court action opposing appeals brought against the decision of the Electricity Authority that an Undesirable Trading Situation had occurred in the New Zealand wholesale electricity market, and
- Orion New Zealand, the owner operator of the Central Canterbury electricity network, on a range of construction, procurement, property, resource management and regulatory issues.