Successful outcomes for landmark mergers and acquisitions
Clients of our market-leading, internationally recognised M&A team value our long history of innovation, strong relationships with regulators and proven ability to get even the most challenging deals across the line.
We advise international and New Zealand clients, including large multinationals and leading private equity players on the structure, strategy and implementation of takeovers, amalgamations, joint ventures and other complex transactions.
We were ranked top New Zealand firm by deal volume in Mergermarket's 2016 Australasian M&A league tables, and were the only New Zealand firm to feature in the top 15.
We have advised:
- ANZ Bank New Zealand on its sale of OnePath Life NZ for $700m to specialist global insurer Cigna Corporation
- on the sale of Shell New Zealand to Vienna-based oil and gas company OMV for $794m
- on the landmark AU$1.5b trans-Tasman deal that will see Australasian oil and gas company Beach Energy acquire Lattice Energy, the conventional upstream oil and gas business of Origin Energy
- on WSP Global Inc.’s takeover of NZX-listed Opus International Consultants for $263m
- on Icebreaker's sale to US-based VF Corporation, which owns The North Face, Timberland and Vans
- New Zealand law firm AJ Park on its sale of its intellectual property business to publicly-listed Asia-Pacific IP group (IPH Limited) for $66.1m
- NZ Post on the sale of a 47% stake in Kiwi Group Holdings Limited, the holding company for the Kiwibank group of financial services entities, to the New Zealand Superannuation Fund and Accident Compensation Corporation, for $494m, including the establishment of joint governance arrangements
- NZME on its demerger from APN News & Media, its subsequent listing on the NZX Main Board and ASX, and the proposed merger with Fairfax New Zealand
- Oji Holdings Corporation (as part of a Japanese-Government backed consortium) on its 100% acquisition of Carter Holt Harvey’s pulp and paper and packaging businesses for $1.037b
- Transpacific Industries Group, Australia’s leading waste management company, on the $950m sale of Transpacific New Zealand to Beijing Capital Group, one of China’s leading state-owned infrastructure enterprises
- GIC Real Estate, Singapore's sovereign wealth fund, on its $1b joint venture with Scentre Group - Westfield mall owner and operator - to take a 49% stake in five New Zealand shopping centres
- Vector on the sale of its gas transmission business and non-Auckland gas distribution business to utilities investor First State Funds for $952.5m
- Sumitomo Corporation on its acquisition of pine forest from Tasman Bay Forests Company for $370m
- Academic Colleges Group (ACG) and its shareholders on the sale of ACG to Pacific Equity Partners
- Higgins Group Holdings on the sale of its New Zealand road construction and maintenance business to Fletcher Building for $315m
- Lendlease on the sale of its New Zealand retirement village portfolio to The Blackstone Group, one of the world’s biggest investment businesses and listed on the NYSE
- Partners Life on The Blackstone Group’s $200m investment into the insurer, and
- on the New Zealand law elements of a range of other major international M&A deals, including:
- City Developments Ltd's acquisition of the remaining shares in Millennium & Copthorne Hotels for US$3.2b
- Wilmar International and First Pacific’s AU$1.34b takeover of Goodman Fielder
- ID Leisure Ventures’ AU$900m acquisition of Hoyts Group.
Ranked Tier One for corporate and M&A work by independent legal directories Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018, IFLR1000 2018 and Asialaw Profiles 2018.
New Zealand Deal Maker of the Year (John Strowger) – 2017 Australasian Law Awards
New Zealand Deal Firm of the Year – 2017 Australasian Law Awards