Successful outcomes for landmark mergers and acquisitions
Clients of our market-leading, internationally recognised M&A team value our long history of innovation, strong relationships with regulators and proven ability to get even the most challenging deals across the line.
We advise international and New Zealand clients, including large multinationals and leading private equity players on the structure, strategy and implementation of takeovers, amalgamations, joint ventures and other complex transactions.
We were ranked top New Zealand firm by deal volume in both Mergermarket's and Thomson Reuters' 2015 Australasian M&A league tables.
We have advised:
- Tower and its directors in relation to the $197m negotiated full takeover being made by Fairfax Financial Holdings by scheme of arrangement and the competing $219m unsolicited proposal received from Vero New Zealand
- Oji Holdings Corporation (as part of a Japanese-Government backed consortium) on its 100% acquisition of Carter Holt Harvey’s pulp and paper and packaging businesses for $1.037b
- Transpacific Industries Group, Australia’s leading waste management company, on the $950m sale of Transpacific New Zealand to Beijing Capital Group, one of China’s leading state-owned infrastructure enterprises
- GIC Real Estate, Singapore's sovereign wealth fund, on its $1b joint venture with Scentre Group - Westfield mall owner and operator - to take a 49% stake in five New Zealand shopping centres
- Vector on the sale of its gas transmission business and non-Auckland gas distribution business to utilities investor First State Funds for $952.5m
- Sumitomo Corporation on its acquisition of pine forest from Tasman Bay Forests Company for $370m
- Academic Colleges Group (ACG) and its shareholders on the sale of ACG to Pacific Equity Partners, which was the largest private equity deal in 2015
- Higgins Group Holdings on the sale of its New Zealand road construction and maintenance business to Fletcher Building for $315m
- Airwork Holdings in response to the $211.4m partial takeover offer by Zhejiang Rifa Holding Group Co. Limited (RIFA) to acquire 75% of Airwork
- The independent trustees of the Hugh Green Trust in connection with the lock-up agreement, and acceptance, for 27.1% by investment company Castle Investments of Bapcor’s successful $351.8m full takeover offer for Hellaby Holdings
- Direct Capital on the sale of New Zealand Pharmaceuticals to Archer Capital
- Lendlease on the sale of its New Zealand retirement village portfolio to The Blackstone Group, one of the world’s biggest investment businesses and listed on the NYSE
- Partners Life on The Blackstone Group’s $200m investment into the insurer, and
- on the New Zealand law elements of a range of other major international M&A deals, including:
- Wilmar International and First Pacific’s AU$1.34b takeover of Goodman Fielder
- ID Leisure Ventures’ AU$900m acquisition of Hoyts Group, and
- The London Stock Exchange Group’s US$2.4b acquisition of Frank Russell Company.
Ranked Tier One for corporate and M&A work by independent legal directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016, IFLR1000 2016 and Asialaw Profiles 2016.
New Zealand Deal Maker of the Year (John Strowger) – 2015 Australasian Law Awards
New Zealand Deal Team of the Year – 2016 & 2015 Australasian Law Awards