Offering you commercial and pragmatic employment law advice
Many of New Zealand’s leading corporates, multinationals and public sector organisations call on us for employment law advice. That’s because we understand the way they work, adapt our approach to theirs and respond with pragmatic and solutions-focussed advice.
Whether you want us there every step of the way or want a quick chat to check you’re on the right track, we can help.
Because our team operates nationally, there are specialists on the ground near you who you can talk to and who can respond quickly.
We work with our clients throughout the employment lifecycle:
- ensuring new staff members are on the right terms when they start work, preparing bespoke employment agreements and complex incentive schemes and template agreements
- business as usual advice on best practice policies and minor disputes
- advising on all union related matters such as negotiations, collective bargaining, disputes and more formal processes such as mediations or facilitations
- front end advice during the due diligence and implementation phases of corporate transactions, including large M&As and restructurings
- advice on high profile and sensitive matters, such as disputes that may arise during the course of an employment relationship or after its termination, and
- appearing with you in mediations or taking charge of proceedings in the Employment Relations Authority, the Employment Court and beyond if required.
We have advised:
- the Earthquake Commission (EQC) on a range of employment matters arising from the Canterbury earthquakes, including personal grievances, management training, and issues resulting from the extensive increase in numbers of staff contractors
- various clients on the employment-related aspects of some of New Zealand’s largest and most significant M&A deals including:
- Arvida Group on its $62m acquisition of three Auckland retirement village and aged care facilities and a $35m capital raising
- Oji Holdings Corporation (as part of a Japanese Government backed consortium on its 100% acquisition of Carter Holt Harvey’s pulp and paper packing businesses for $1.037b
- KordaMentha as receivers on employment-related aspects of significant receiverships and subsequent sale processes, including those of MediaWorks and Southern Cross Forest Product (SCFP)
- New Zealand Aluminium Smelters on appeal against $20m liability for additional leave attributed to a disputed statutory interpretation, arising out of NZAS’s alleged misapplication of roster changes in the early 1990s
- Godfrey Hirst, PBT Transport Limited, Fuji Xerox, Lion Foundation, Bluebird Limited, Baker Hughes New Zealand, and other major corporates, on a range of employment matters including restructuring processes, union-related matters, employment grievances and restraint of trade issues
Recommended for employment work by independent legal
directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016, Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 and Asialaw