Providing expertise and innovation in wealth management
We are consistently recognised as being among New Zealand’s leading funds management and superannuation lawyers by local and international legal directories over at least the last 15 years.
Our lawyers are known for their efficient and innovative product development skills, industry knowledge, versatility, commerciality and technical ability.
We are at the forefront of our field, being closely involved in influencing the relevant KiwiSaver, Financial Markets Conduct Act (FMCA), portfolio investment entities (PIE) and Financial Advisers law reforms. We play a leading role in working with law makers, industry bodies and clients to ensure that proposed legislation is both practical and appropriately flexible. We have been active in using these new legal frameworks to develop efficient and innovative investment products.
Our work includes helping to develop, restructure and design KiwiSaver schemes, managed investment schemes, workplace savings schemes and innovative products, including tax effective PIEs such as cash and term PIE funds, and NZX listed ETF (passive) investments.
Our national superannuation and investment funds practice is the most comprehensive in New Zealand. Clients benefit from our broad market experience and expertise.
We have advised:
- many of New Zealand’s leading fund managers, including AMP, ANZ, BNZ, Westpac, Fisher Funds and Nikko Asset Management, on transitioning their managed investment schemes to the new FMCA regime, obtaining licences and preparing product offering documentation
- on the establishment, management and growth of numerous retail and wholesale managed investment schemes, for a wide range of New Zealand-based and offshore fund managers
- on the establishment of market-leading KiwiSaver schemes, including for AMP, ASB, BNZ, Fisher Funds, and Generate
- on the acquisition of KiwiSaver and funds management businesses, including ANZ Investments on the acquisition of the National Bank funds and insurance business, ANZ’s acquisition of 50% of OnePath, Foundation Life on its acquisition of Tower Life, and Fisher Funds’ acquisition of the Tower, Credit Union, Law Retirement, HWM (NZ), and First NZ Capital KiwiSaver schemes
- leading workplace and other restricted superannuation and KiwiSaver schemes including AMP, ANZ, Baptist Union, Beca, Heinz, Ports, Refining NZ, Rio Tinto, the State Sector Retirement Savings Schemes, The New Zealand Anglican Church Pension Board schemes and the Works Superannuation Scheme
- on compliance with New Zealand financial markets and securities laws, including preparation of offering and advertising documentation
- on fund manager governance, due diligence programmes and compliance processes
- a number of New Zealand’s largest discretionary investment management services (DIMS) providers – including ANZ, Fisher Funds, and Craigs Investment Partners – with their licensing and transition under the FMCA
- on the restructuring of managed investment schemes, superannuation schemes and other investment products, including closing and suspending funds, migrating unitholders and bulk transfers of superannuation scheme members (including without member consent)
- on obtaining exemptions from Financial Markets Authority (we have obtained approximately a quarter of all exemptions applied for over a prior ten year period)
- many Australian fund managers on offering their products in New Zealand using the mutual recognition regime between New Zealand and Australia
- various organisations including Workplace Savings NZ, the Financial Services Council and the New Zealand Bankers’ Association on their submissions to government
- on acquiring trustee licenses under the new statutory supervisors legislation, including for Trustees Executors Limited
- on various investment management, administration, secretarial and custodial services contracts, and
- various managers on regulatory investigations and inquiries, threats of enforcement actions and dispute resolution.
Ranked Tier One for investment funds by Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 and ranked Premier in both funds management and superannuation by LexisNexis in its Clients' Guide to Law Firms in New Zealand