Specialist and practical advice for international trade and investment matters
Our experts know what it takes to operate successfully in international markets, and to trade with New Zealand. If you choose to work with us we’ll help you to successfully capitalise on your investment opportunities.
An integrated service for international entities investing in New Zealand
Our advice is clear and commercial. We help you mitigate risk and maximise your investment throughout the phases of your business venture - from evaluating opportunities, business acquisition and structuring, to day-to-day operational issues and how to achieve a successful exit strategy.
We also help you to make sense of an unfamiliar regulatory and cultural environment helping you navigate resource management and Māori law issues and representing your business interests to regulatory bodies, including the Overseas Investment Office – the New Zealand Government authority responsible for dealing with overseas investment applications – with whom we have an excellent working relationship.
We have genuine cross-border dispute resolution capacity, and are the only New Zealand law firm recognised by Global Arbitration Review as a world top 100 international arbitration practice.
We have the largest presence of any law firm in Wellington, the capital city and government centre of New Zealand. As a result, you’ll benefit from our very good knowledge of relevant government policy and the procedures for obtaining overseas investment consent. We have been involved in the drafting of relevant regulations and one of our partners was a member of the government-appointed group which reviewed New Zealand’s overseas investment rules.
Helping New Zealand businesses operating in Asia, Australia and the Pacific Islands
We work with New Zealand companies doing business in Asia, Australia and the Pacific Islands – from business setup, to joint ventures, and restructuring of state-owned assets.
We advise on all aspects of international trade and investment, including free trade agreements. Our team is fully conversant with the impact of international trade treaties and regimes, and related legislation, and we liaise with New Zealand’s government agencies regarding international trade, international treaty obligations and associated legislative proposals.
We have advised:
- Oji Holdings Corporation (as part of a Japanese-gGovernment backed consortium) on all aspects of its 100% acquisition of Carter Holt Harvey’s pulp and paper and packaging businesses for $1.037b, one of the largest single Japanese investments to date in the New Zealand economy
- China-based Shanghai Pengxin on a number of its investments in New Zealand, including its successful Overseas Investment Office (OIO) application to purchase over 7,800 hectares of substantial dairy farming assets (the Crafar Farms) in New Zealand
- Transpacific Industries Group, Australia’s leading waste management company, on the $950m sale of Transpacific New Zealand to Beijing Capital Group, one of China’s leading state-owned infrastructure enterprises
- GIC Real Estate, Singapore's sovereign wealth fund, on its $1b joint venture with Scentre Group - Westfield mall owner and operator - to take a 49% stake in five New Zealand shopping centres
- Beijing Automotive Group (BAIC Group), one of the largest automobile manufacturers in China, on its 50% equity investment in Hamilton-based aviation firm Pacific Aerospace