Chapman Tripp’s Corporate and Commercial team was named NZ Deal Team of the Year and Chapman Tripp Corporate partner John Strowger was named NZ Deal Maker of the Year at the 2015 Australasian Law Awards, held in Sydney on 21 May.
Chapman Tripp Managing Partner, Andrew Poole said: “We are very proud of the market recognition that these awards represent. The firm continues to help our clients successfully execute some of the biggest, most complex and challenging transactions in New Zealand. This international recognition reflects the value of the results that we achieve for our clients and the pride that everyone in the firm takes in their work.
“The Deal Maker of the Year Award is a tribute to the excellent results that John has achieved on many market leading deals during the last 12 months, including the largest international acquisitions of New Zealand assets (the NZ$1.037b acquisition of Carter Holt Harvey’s pulp and paper and packaging businesses and Transpacific Industries’ NZ$950m sale of its NZ business).”
John Strowger has consistently featured in the shortlists for NZ Deal Maker of the Year over the last decade and has won the award on two previous occasions.
Chapman Tripp’s Corporate and Commercial team has advised on more M&A work than any other New Zealand firm, including virtually all of New Zealand’s major cross-border M&A deals, and has the greatest market share of successful M&A clearance applications to New Zealand’s Commerce Commission.
The firm has acted on more NZ Main Board IPOs in 2014 than any other firm (8 of 12), including the year’s largest IPO – the $736m IPO and NZX and ASX listing of Genesis Energy.
The team continues to shape the ECM market in New Zealand advising NZX (the main stock market operator) on the revision of listing rules and the establishment of the alterative NXT market.
Recent Chapman Tripp awards:
- NZ Deal Maker of the Year (John Strowger) – 2015 Australasian Law Awards
- NZ Deal Team of the Year – 2015 Australasian Law Awards
- New Zealand Law Firm of the Year – Chambers Asia Pacific Awards for Excellence 2015
- National Law Firm of the Year for New Zealand – 2015 IFLR Asia Awards
- Large Law Firm of the Year – 2014 New Zealand Law Awards
- Employer of Choice (100+ employees) – 2014 New Zealand Law Awards
- New Zealand Employer of Choice – 2014 Australasian Lawyer Employer of Choice Awards
- New Zealand Law Firm of the Year – Chambers Asia Pacific Awards for Excellence 2014