Bruce is partner in our corporate and commercial department and also leads our national technology, media and telecommunications practice.
His expertise and experience spans a broad range, from mergers and acquisitions in the TMT sector, advising on public private partnerships and alliances in New Zealand and Australia, engineering projects, TMT contracting, health, privacy and data protection, and commercialisation and investments involving intellectual property. His particular interest is in the TMT sector, having been involved in many of New Zealand’s most significant projects in this area.
Bruce is one of only six New Zealand lawyers recognised as a “Star Individual” by Chambers Asia Pacific 2016. He is acknowledged as a top TMT lawyer by all international legal directories covering New Zealand. Chambers Asia Pacific states that Bruce is a "thought leader". He is noted for his "very commercially focused and pragmatic advice," while peers say that he is a lawyer who "commands universal respect." Bruce is also recognised as a leading lawyer by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015.
Bruce has advised:
Ultra-Fast and Rural Broadband Initiatives
- Telecom New Zealand Limited (now Spark Limited) and Chorus Limited on New Zealand’s Ultra-Fast Broadband Initiative and Rural Broadband Initiative, including arrangements with Crown Fibre Holdings Limited and the Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment
- Counties Manukau District Health Board (New Zealand’s largest District Health Board) on its multi-year strategic relationship agreement with IBM to transform the delivery of healthcare services using technology
Core banking upgrade
- Kiwibank Limited on the replacement of its core banking system, involving expenditure in excess of NZ$100m with SAP and a systems integration partner
Mobile payment systems
- TSM New Zealand Limited, on a joint venture between Paymark Limited (for New Zealand registered banks) and mobile network operators Telecom (now Spark), Vodafone and 2Degrees for the implementation and delivery of trusted service manager infrastructure and mobile wallets using NFC-enabled smartphones
Cloud financial management system
- New Zealand Post on the replacement of its financial management and enterprise resource planning systems, including delivery of software and services over the cloud
- Vector Limited on the acquisition of metering businesses, arrangements for advanced metering services with retailers and suppliers, as well as its long-term arrangements with SmartCo Limited, and
- Beca on engineering projects throughout the Asia-Pacific Region, including for public private projects and alliances.