Garth specialises in insurance-related and civil litigation.
He has extensive experience in advising clients on professional indemnity, statutory liability and public liability insurance.
Garth has a broad civil litigation practice and has appeared before all levels of the court system and before numerous specialist tribunals. He frequently acts for solicitors, accountants, real estate agents, valuers and a range of organisations in professional negligence proceedings.
Garth is also experienced in alternative dispute resolution, especially mediation.
Garth has been elected chair of the Arts Foundation of New Zealand and is a former member of the Film and Literature Board of Review. He is a trustee of the Christchurch Art Gallery Foundation and Honorary President of New Zealand Football.
Since 1996 Garth has been a member of Radio Sport’s cricket commentary team.
Garth is recognised as a leading lawyer by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2016.
- successfully defended a real estate agency in a test case brought by the Commerce Commission in relation to vendor bidding. The case was won in the Court of Appeal after the Commission appealed the High Court decision
- acted for an architect / designer on a substantial claim (involving complex issues of both structural and mechanical engineering) brought against it by a local authority
- acted for the receivers in the successful defence of a High Court claim brought by a shareholder/director
- acted for a prominent real estate agency in successfully defending allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct in the High Court
- defended numerous employers/employees charged under the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992, including the successful defence of a commercial jet boat driver involved in a fatal accident
- successfully defended a midwife charged with medical manslaughter
- acted for the New Zealand Mines Rescue Trust in the Royal Commission hearing into the Pike River tragedy, and
- acted for a number of professional organisations in relation to claims arising from the Christchurch earthquakes.