Josh specialises in corporate and commercial transactions, with a focus on M&A and securities law.
Josh advises clients on a broad range of corporate and commercial matters including mergers and acquisitions, capital raisings, corporate governance for listed and unlisted entities, and commercial agreements.
He has advised a range of public and private sector organisations across industries including electricity, gas, telecommunications, transport and agribusiness.
Josh returned to Chapman Tripp in 2011 after two and a half years in Moscow where he worked at leading Wall Street firm Cleary Gottileb Steen & Hamilton LLP. During his time in Moscow Josh advised private and listed clients including TPG and Gazprom.
Josh has advised:
- Vector and its metering subsidiary, Advanced Metering Services, on the $20m acquisition of Arc Innovations Limited from Meridian Energy and entry into associated long-term electricity smart metering deployment contracts
- Z Energy and its shareholders, Infratil and the New Zealand Superannuation Fund, on all aspects of the $840m initial public offering of Z Energy and associated NZX and ASX listings
- Newcrest Mining on its farm-in arrangements with Laneway Resources in relation to gold mining tenements in the Waihi mining area
- ikeGPS on its $25m IPO and NZX Main Board Listing
- Crown Irrigation Investments on its funding support for regional irrigation projects, including its subordinated debt facility investment into the Central Plains Water Scheme
- The New Zealand Treasury on the sale by AMI Insurance of assets and liabilities to IAG (NZ) for $340m and the establishment of Southern Response to manage AMI’s Canterbury earthquake related assets and liabilities
- Vector on a broad range of commercial contracts, including electricity metering and gas transmission, interconnection and supply contracts
- The New Zealand Treasury on aspects of the $733m IPO and NZX and ASX listings of Genesis Energy as part of the New Zealand Government’s Mixed Ownership Model (MOM) programme
- New Zealand Guardian Trust and The Trust Company in their role as instalment receipt trustees on the $1.88bn Meridian Energy IPO, as part of the MOM programme
- Australian private healthcare investor Evolution Healthcare on its acquisition of Boulcott Hospital in Lower Hutt, Wellington and the acquisition of a stake in Acurity Health Group, a listed healthcare provider
- Southern Pastures on a range of corporate governance matters and other matters associated with its investment in New Zealand dairy farms
- Sanford Limited on the divestment of Pacific Oyster assets to Aotearoa Fisheries Limited
- a New Zealand biotechnology company on its acquisition by a US-based private equity firm
- the UK-based City & Guilds on the acquisition of Flexible Learning Network, a New Zealand based education provider
- RESIMAC Limited on its acquisition of a New Zealand based residential mortgage backed securitisation structure, and
- industry training organisations (ITOs) including the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers ITO and the Building and Construction ITO on proposed mergers within the ITO sector and associated corporate governance issues.