Justin specialises in technology, media and telecommunications, intellectual property, insurance, privacy, corporate and commercial dispute resolution and Iwi governance issues.
Justin is experienced at managing and resolving complex commercial litigation and disputes. He has frequently appeared as counsel in civil proceedings in the High Court and Court of Appeal, and in international and domestic arbitrations, and regularly prosecutes trade mark applications and oppositions for many clients before the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand.
Justin is experienced at handling claims and policy matters for insurers and reinsurers, as well as in forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Justin is a member of Te Waka Ture, Chapman Tripp’s Māori Legal Group. Justin also lectures at the University of Auckland, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, in intellectual property law. Justin is the author of the New Zealand chapter of International Copyright Law published by Globe Law and Business.
Justin is a member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand and of the Media Lawyers’ Association. He has presented several seminars on privacy and defamation law, including to the Magazine Publishers’ Association and the New Zealand Journalists’ Training Organisation. He is regularly sought out for media comment in his areas of interest and has contributed articles to the National Business Review, New Zealand Law Journal and the New Zealand Intellectual Property Journal.
- acted in both High Court and arbitration proceedings involving complex IT project disputes
- successfully defended the Ministry of Social Development in High Court litigation brought by Te Whanau O Waipareira Trust
- advised insurers and reinsurers on a range of insurance issues including professional indemnity, general liability and life insurance matters.
- advised Waikato-Tainui Te Kauhanganui Incorporated on governance issues
- advised Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei on Māori land issues
- acted in a major multi-million dollar international arbitration involving the sale of a major piece of New Zealand infrastructure on sensitive land to offshore interests
- assisted ACP Media in its intervention in both the High Court and Court of Appeal in the well-known Hosking privacy litigation
- advised and assisted Microsoft Corporation in the execution of a search warrant following a multi-national investigation into an Internet pirate leading to one of the few criminal convictions under the Copyright Act 1994
- advised Microsoft Corporation and other clients on intellectual property issues, including appearing in several copyright infringement proceedings in the High Court, and advising on trade mark, border protection and trade practice matters
- assisted in defending Japan Airlines in Commerce Commission proceedings alleging anti-competitive cartel operations relating to transportation of cargo
- advised on domain name disputes including acting in arbitration before the World Intellectual Property Organisation
- advised the media on defamation, contempt and fair trading issues and is accomplished at providing pre-publication reviews and advice, and
- advised on trade practices matters involving applications for urgent interim relief.