Matt specialises in intellectual property, competition law and civil litigation.
He is the author of New Zealand's leading antitrust textbook, New Zealand Competition Law and Policy, and writes for the New Zealand Law Journal and other commercial law publications.
He has taught competition law at the University of Auckland for many years at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Matt is recognised as a leading lawyer in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2016.
Matt's experience includes:
- counsel to six major Hollywood studios securing ex parte civil search orders, asset freezing orders and interim injunctive relief which took down the world’s largest on-line piracy operation, Popcorn Time
- counsel to Allegion, a global industrial company, successfully defending it in a three-week High Court trial of patent infringement allegations brought by Swedish multinational, Assa Abloy, relating to security product technology
- acting for clients across the economy on the trade practice law implications of commercial initiatives including joint venture arrangements and contentious acquisitions
- representing Twentieth Century Fox in copyright litigation over geo-blocking circumvention technology, and
- advising local and multi-national clients on contentious matters arising out of bespoke software developments.