Michael co-leads our restructuring and insolvency practice and is a highly experienced commercial litigator.
Michael regularly acts on commercial and property disputes with a particular emphasis on the finance sector. He represents and advises insolvency practitioners and creditors on all aspects of insolvency processes.
Michael has throughout his career, advised insurers and insureds, including defending insured liability claims. He has a particular interest in the intersection between insurance and insolvency.
Michael has over 23 years’ legal experience and is ranked as a top tier insolvency lawyer by independent legal directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016, Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 and IFLR1000 2014.
Michael has advised:
- the receivers of many of New Zealand’s most significant recent finance receiverships, including Capital + Merchant Finance, North South Finance, South Canterbury Finance and Strategic Finance
- four major trading banks in upholding Solid Energy's Part 14 Creditors' compromise
- debtors in dealing with their creditors, including advising ACS (Ansvar Insurance) on its exit from the market, including establishing a contingent scheme of arrangement, the first scheme of its type in New Zealand
- financiers in disputes and proceedings concerning relative priorities of their security interests
- receivers and liquidators in claims against third parties including directors
- insureds and claimants on insurance arrangements including under Directors' and Officers' and professional indemnity policies, and
- various creditors in settling disputes arising under the Personal Property Securities Act.