Mike is a partner in our corporate & commercial team specialising in investment, funds and savings products, with an emphasis on superannuation, KiwiSaver and financial services regulation.
Mike acts for the trustees and promoters of numerous major superannuation and KiwiSaver schemes throughout New Zealand. He also acts for the Commission for Financial Literacy and Retirement Income (CFLRI) and is regularly consulted by Workplace Savings NZ.
Mike’s KiwiSaver and retail superannuation clients include AMP, Westpac, Fisher Funds and the Anglican Church Pension Board. Mike also acts for several other restricted KiwiSaver schemes and over 20 major employer-based superannuation schemes.
Mike has a strong interest in policy and compliance issues and has been instrumental in recent years in a number of superannuation and KiwiSaver legislative reforms. He was a member of the Savings Product Working Group whose recommendations led to the KiwiSaver legislation.
Mike is a Councillor of Workplace Savings New Zealand and a former Chairman of the Association of Superannuation Funds of New Zealand.
Mike has recently advised:
- the CFLRI on superannuation scheme and KiwiSaver-related education initiatives and on Christchurch earthquake-related advisory services
- the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment and Inland Revenue on technical, policy and other aspects of KiwiSaver legislation
- on numerous major superannuation scheme restructurings in areas such as adding member investment choice, salary sacrifice and pension commutation facilities and amending contributions and benefits designs (and on scheme establishments and wind-ups)
- on major KiwiSaver scheme consolidations such as the acquisition of the Huljich KiwiSaver business and the TOWER KiwiSaver and superannuation businesses by Fisher Funds, and on the consolidation of the AXA and AMP KiwiSaver schemes
- on administration, secretarial, consulting, internet services, investment and other services agreements for a wide range of superannuation clients
- on large-scale non-consensual bulk transfers between superannuation schemes (and employer plans within those schemes)
- on financial adviser, financial service provider and anti-money laundering legislation as it affects both trustees and promoters