Roger is a partner focusing on corporate and securities law.
Roger advises on business reorganisations, public offers, corporate takeovers, mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures and shareholder agreements, regulatory compliance and general corporate law issues.
Roger is a member of the Takeovers Panel, the New Zealand Institute of Directors, the Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand (INFINZ) and the executive of the Listed Companies Association. He is the former Chairman of the NZX Legal and Regulatory Advisory board. Roger is also the Chair of Chapman Tripp's Board.
Roger is consistently ranked as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global. Chambers Global 2013 reports he is “an exceptional lawyer with a very thorough knowledge of the law”. He also won the 2014, 2012, 2011 and 2010 International Law Office General Corporate Client Choice Award. Roger is also ranked as a leading lawyer by IFLR1000 2016 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2016, and is recommended by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016.
Roger has advised:
- Trilogy International on its underwritten $20m placement, $5m share purchase plan, and ASX listing application, and The Business Bakery on its $30m block trade
- Arvida Group on its $20m acquisitions of Lansdowne Park retirement village, and $62m acquisition of the Aria retirement villages, and associated $30m equity placement by book build offer, and $5m Share Purchase Plan
- Goldman Sachs as lead manager and bookrunner on the $185m Investore IPO and NZX Main Board listing
- First NZ Capital as arranger of Wynyard's $30m rights issue
- Lendlease on the sale of its New Zealand retirement village portfolio to the Blackstone Tactical Opportunities fund, following a contested sale process
- Vector on its sale of subsidiary Vector Gas Limited, owner of gas transmission pipelines and gas distribution networks outside of Auckland, to two infrastructure funds managed by First State Investments for NZ$952.5m, following a contested international sale process
- G3 Group on its NZ$40m compliance listing, the first company to list on NZX’s new NXT market, designed for small and mid-sized businesses, and
- Arvida Group on all aspects of its 2014 $80m IPO and NZX Main Board listing, in conjunction with an acquisition of 17 aged care facilities for scrip for a deal value of NZ$329.