Simon specialises in competition, regulatory and public law.
Simon re-joined Chapman Tripp in 2015 after five years working for Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, based in London. He has extensive experience advising domestic and international clients in relation to the full range of competition and regulatory matters, including merger control, enforcement and investigations, price control and other regulatory and public law issues.
Simon holds advanced degrees in US antitrust and regulation and European Union competition law.
Simon's recent experience includes:
- securing multi-jurisdictional merger clearances for a number of international transactions, including for:
- Carlson, Inc. for the sale of TGI Fridays, and its acquisition from JP Morgan Chase of JPM’s stake in Carlson Wagonlit Travel
- Pearson plc and Penguin Books in relation to the establishment of Penguin Random House, a joint venture combining the trade publishing businesses of Pearson and Bertelsmann
- Foster Wheeler on its acquisition by AMEC, and
- PetroChina, in relation to the establishment of its UK/France oil refining joint venture with INEOS
- acting on a number of high profile enforcement matters, including for:
- Pearson plc and Penguin Books in relation to the European Commission’s and US Department of Justice’s investigations into distribution arrangements for eBooks, and
- an international investment bank on ongoing global investigations into foreign exchange dealing
- advising on regulatory and price control issues in a wide range of industry sectors, including particularly airports, water, energy and natural resources, and financial markets and services.