Stephen specialises in corporate and commercial law with particular expertise in mergers and acquisitions and securities law.
Stephen has over 29 years’ legal experience and advises clients on all aspects of commercial law including corporate governance, contract law, trade practices, competition and securities.
Stephen has been noted as a leading lawyer in mergers and acquisitions by independent legal directory IFLR1000.
He has acted as advisor to a wide range of businesses including AMP, ANZ, Amcor, Barclays, Goldman Sachs, Heinz, Honda, Maui Capital, Mighty River Power, Orora, Philip Morris, PwC, the New Zealand Treasury, Tegel and Westpac.
Stephen has advised:
Mergers and acquisitions
- Amcor on New Zealand aspects of its demerger and the formation of Orora
- FleetCor on its acquisition of Cardlink Systems
- the Crown-appointed receivers of South Canterbury Finance on the sale of shares in Scales Corporation
- Healthcare Industry on its acquisition of shares in listed Abano Healthcare, and on the sale of shares in Bay Audiology and National Hearing Care
- Intueri Education Group on all aspects of its IPO
- The New Zealand Treasury on the IPO of Genesis Energy
- Mighty River Power on all aspects of its IPO under the New Zealand government’s mixed ownership model
- Maui Capital on the establishment of the Indigo and Aqua Funds, and on investments by those funds
Environment, water and energy
Mighty River Power on the establishment of its Kawerau, Nga Awa Purua and Ngatamariki geothermal power stations
Mighty River Power on its purchase of Kawerau geothermal assets from the Crown, on the sale of those assets to Ngati Tuwharetoa Geothermal Assets, establishment of steam field management arrangements for the Kawerau geothermal system, and
Wind Farm Group on various wind farm projects.