Successful investment in New Zealand
Chapman Tripp brings strong commercial focus to hospitality, tourism and sports-related businesses throughout New Zealand. We have worked with sports organisations, agents and players for more than 30 years on constitutions, player and employer contracts and all aspects of business management around events.
Our lawyers work with international and domestic investors on the construction, development, acquisition and sale of hotels and leisure complexes. We advise on the commercial aspects of international hospitality and tourism businesses as well as real estate transactions and consents, including the implications of Māori land ownership or claims.
We have advised
- various hotel groups and developers, including on the development and purchase of, and management agreements for, hotels around New Zealand.
- New Zealand Football on all commercial, contract, Major Events Management Act, sports and marketing aspects of successfully hosting the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2008.
- Eden Park Redevelopment Board in relation to the upgrade of Eden Park (Auckland's major sports stadium) for hosting the Rugby World Cup 2011.
- major corporates on the Major Events Management Act as it affects their sponsorship arrangements and marketing campaigns.
- on obtaining concessions from the Department of Conservation to operate commercial tourism activities on conservation land.
- the organisers of Air New Zealand Fashion Week on ambush marketing issues.
- the management company running the New Zealand Golf Open featuring Tiger Woods.
- on the promotion and development of exclusive New Zealand resorts.
- NZ casino operators on all aspects of their operations.
- in relation to the public tender process, the contracts for, and the negotiations and licensing of the Bridge Climb and bungy jumping activity on the Auckland Harbour Bridge.