Supporting banks and financial institutions across the full spectrum of banking business
As the go-to firm for New Zealand’s banking sector, we help our clients navigate new and complex finance developments and to run their businesses effectively.
We have successfully represented all of New Zealand’s major retail banks, as well as investment banks, other financial institutions, funds, investors and non-regulated lenders on matters ranging from corporate transactions and regulatory matters to complex litigation.
They choose us because we deliver relevant, innovative solutions and help them effectively and efficiently deal with their day-to-day business challenges.
We have a strong securities and capital markets practice and an extensive track record acting for financial institutions on local and international funding programmes. We have worked with clients to design and implement some of the most significant, market-leading transactions in New Zealand's banking and finance sector.
The services we provide to sector participants include:
- financial regulation
- capital raising
- lending transactions
- securitisation arrangements
- property and project finance
- wealth management
- intellectual property
- IT and procurement
- litigation and dispute resolution
- restructuring and insolvency, and
- tax advisory.
We have advised:
- the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China and China Construction Bank, two of the top five banks in the world, on the establishment of domestic funding programmes and debt issues into the New Zealand market
- Solid Energy’s five major bank lenders in relation to Solid Energy’s $450m voluntary administration, the largest and most complicated voluntary administration in New Zealand history
- major banks on the establishment of (and ongoing updates to) a full range of international and domestic capital markets programmes, including short and medium term funding programmes and covered bond programmes
- major banks and investors on the financing of some of New Zealand’s largest and most complex and high value infrastructure projects and property developments
- a number of large banks and wealth managers on their Financial Markets Conduct Act (FMCA) licensing, compliance, documentation and governance in response to the implementation by the FMCA of a “once in a lifetime" rewrite of New Zealand’s securities laws
Ranked Tier One for Banking & Finance and Corporate work by independent legal directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2020.
Ranked Tier One for capital markets work in independent legal directory IFLR1000 2020.