The commercially astute competition law team for critical projects and inquiries
If you need first-class competition law advice, our
vastly experienced experts can assist.
We confront the most challenging
competition law issues on a daily basis and routinely advise on the New Zealand
aspects of international mergers and multi-jurisdictional cartel investigations.
Our clients span all major industries and comprise a
mix of the nation’s largest corporates, key government and financial
institutions, major primary sector operatives, core infrastructure providers
and multinationals operating in New Zealand.
Our competition team can advise you on merger
approvals, abuse of market power, cartel activity such as price fixing,
anti-competitive arrangements, resale price maintenance, compliance audits and
Year-on-year the firm builds on our experience to
clients’ advantage by securing clearance for deals from the New Zealand
Commerce Commission and competition authorities in other jurisdictions, and
winning landmark competition cases.
We have advised:
- Z Energy on its successful application to the Commerce Commission to acquire 100% of the shares in Chevron New Zealand for $785m, New Zealand’s most significant merger clearance application in 2015
- Expedia Inc on its successful application for Commerce Commission clearance for its AU$703m acquisition of Australian travel agency Wotif
- Vector in successfully obtaining clearance from the Commerce Commission to acquire 100% of the shares of Arc Innovations, Meridian Energy’s smart metering business
- a leading New Zealand rural services firm in a Commerce Commission Investigation into alleged cartel and price-fixing operations
- a beverage company in major Commerce Act litigation in the High Court against a rival beverage company over its alleged misuse of power in various markets in New Zealand
Ranked Tier One for competition work by independent legal directory
Chambers Asia Pacific 2016. Ranked as an elite firm by the Global Competition Review 100 (16th