Advice on the full lifecycle of private equity matters
Our lawyers have been at the forefront of private equity in New Zealand since its beginnings in the early 1990s.
Our specialists advise on the full lifecycle of private equity matters, from investments to divestments, and from the structuring and establishment to the winding down of funds.
We work on the largest and most complex deals, domestically and offshore, and have been at the leading edge of structuring innovation in the New Zealand market, including the use of limited partnerships.
Our experience across the private equity space means we have a deep knowledge of how funds operate and how we can best contribute towards their success.
We have advised:
- on the establishment of private equity funds for Direct Capital, Goldman Sachs, Knox Investment Partners, Maui Capital and Waterman Capital
- on Icebreaker's sale to US-based VF Corporation, which owns The North Face, Timberland and Vans
- on Waterman Capital’s investments in leading freight and courier business PBT Group and Provincial Education Group
- Waterman Capital on its acquisition of My Food Bag, the leading New Zealand “food bag” supplier
- Direct Capital on its investment to acquire a minority shareholding in AS Colour, a leading international provider of high quality blank apparel and other merchandise
- Pencarrow Private Equity on the sale of 100% of the shares in Brewgroup Limited (formerly Bell Tea & Coffee) to Jacobs Douwe Egberts AU Pty Ltd
- on the sale of Waterman Capital portfolio companies Academic Colleges Group (ACG) and Manuka Health New Zealand to Pacific Equity Partners, having previously acted for Waterman on its initial investments in those companies
- Direct Capital on the sale of its 51% stake in NZ Pharmaceuticals to Australian private equity firm Archer Capital
- on the sale of Direct Capital’s shareholding in Transaction Services Group to Calera Capital
- Lendlease on the sale of its New Zealand retirement village portfolio to The Blackstone Group, one of the world’s biggest investment businesses and listed on the NYSE
- Partners Life on The Blackstone Group’s $200m investment into the insurer
- CHAMP Private Equity-owned Accolade Wines on its purchase of Mud House Wine Group’s leading wine brands Mud House and Waipara Hills and the leasing of its vineyards from another new owner, and
- Quadrant Private Equity on its sell down of its remaining stake in Summerset Group Holdings for $155m.