Focused intellectual property strategies that protect, defend and exploit
Our lawyers know what it takes to protect a great idea or research breakthrough, and have the best strategies to license and commercialise your IP.
Along with considerable expertise in the design and execution of IP commercialisation, our team has a busy copyright, trade marks and patent practice. We help clients fend off attempts to copy their inventions and we're skilled at implementing effective anti-piracy and border protection campaigns.
As the most experienced intellectual property team of all New Zealand’s full service law firms, we work for the most significant investors and IP owners across New Zealand’s economy.
We have advised:
- the Motion Picture Association of America in copyright and asset freezing litigation against notorious internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom
- Allegion, a global industrial company, successfully defending it in a three-week High Court trial of patent infringement allegations brought by Swedish multinational, Assa Abloy, relating to security product technology
- Microsoft on its anti-piracy and copyright enforcement programme in New Zealand, and during its engagement with New Zealand Government agencies over recent patent reform where, among other changes, the New Zealand parliament significantly amended New Zealand law on the patentability of software
- six major Hollywood studios securing ex parte civil search orders, asset freezing orders and interim injunctive relief which took down the world’s largest online piracy operation, Popcorn Time
- Twentieth Century Fox in copyright litigation over geo-blocking circumvention technology
Recommended for intellectual property work by independent legal directories Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 and Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020."