Trusted advisers for private clients
Our private client & trusts team offers you asset structuring expertise and a personalised and tailored approach. We can advise you on:
- establishment and reorganisation of trust structures
- technical trust issues
- asset and business planning, and
- complex family and succession matters.
We are the only leading New Zealand law firm with a dedicated private client team. We have significant experience in handling contentious trust matters, and work closely with tax and litigation experts within the firm where appropriate.
Our team often makes submissions in the interests of our clients. In our submissions to the Law Commission's review of the Trustee Act 1956, we were pleased to note that most of our recommendations were reflected within the final report to Parliament.
Trusted legal advisers for charities and non-profit bodies
Our team also advises charities and non-profit bodies, on:
- establishing and administering charitable trusts and incorporated societies
- improving and modernising governing documents
- regulation and compliance, for example health and safety obligations, financial and charitable reporting, and obligations under financial services and other legislation, and
- mergers and amalgamations.
- designed and implemented structures to protect and enhance clients’ personal and/or business assets
- reorganised trusts and assets, including resettlements and variations of existing trusts and trust structures
- advised generations of New Zealand families on their business, farming and property interests, including facilitating inter-generational transition through appropriate structures
- interpreted and improved existing trust deeds and associated documentation to ensure they are up-to-date and fit for purpose
- advised offshore clients migrating to New Zealand on all New Zealand trust and tax aspects of their move
Team members are listed as leading individuals and the team is recommended for private client work by independent legal directory Chambers HNW 2020."