Tailored, practical tax advice across the board
In the complex, often multi-jurisdictional and technical world of tax, you need tailored and practical advice – and that’s what we deliver.
Our tax specialists can assist with the full spectrum of your commercial activities, from transaction structuring and due diligence to property taxation, inbound and outbound investment, cross-border leasing, funds management, financial products, corporate restructuring and employee share plans.
Other areas in which we can assist include:
binding and non-binding tax rulings
negotiations and disputes with the Inland Revenue Department, and
tax litigation and advocacy.
Our team is also heavily involved in high profile tax policy work.
Tax due diligence
Multinational companies regularly call on our skilled and experienced M&A tax team to help them successfully navigate domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions.
Our team comprises market-leading experts with accounting and legal qualifications, with the unique ability to assist at all points of a transaction cycle. This includes assisting with the structure, drafting and negotiating of transaction documents, and developing and implementing a post transaction step plan.
undertake tailored tax due diligence reviews
act in the context of buy-side and sell-side IPO transactions, and
act from a warranty and indemnity insurers’ perspective.
We have worked collaboratively with other domestic and international advisors, including legal and accounting firms and investment banks, to successfully deliver on some of the largest transactions in recent times.
We have advised:
- CBA, ANZ, BNZ and Westpac on tax-related aspects of the restructuring and recapitalisation of Solid Energy
- on all four of the New Zealand Government's Mixed Ownership Model (MOM) programme transactions in 2013 and 2014, including advising on the tax aspects for:
- the Treasury on the $736m Initial Public Offering (IPO) and New Zealand Stock Exchange (NZX) and Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) listing of Genesis Energy
- Mighty River Power (now Mercury) on its $1.7b IPO and NZX and ASX listing
- Oji Holdings Corporation (as part of a Japanese-Government backed consortium) on its 100% acquisition of Carter Holt Harvey’s pulp and paper and packaging businesses for $1.037b, including the tax aspects
- petroleum distributor and retailer Z Energy, and its shareholders Infratil and the New Zealand Superannuation Fund, on the tax aspects (and all other aspects) of its $840m partial IPO and associated NZX and ASX listings
- Vector on the tax aspects of its sale of subsidiary Vector Gas, owner of gas transmission pipelines and gas distribution networks outside of Auckland, to two infrastructure funds managed by First State Funds for $952.5m
Ranked Tier One for tax work by specialist tax legal directory
International Tax Review World Tax 2015 and recommended for tax
work by independent legal directories Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2017.