Alana is a Senior Associate specialises in environment, planning & resource management law.
Alana advises public and commercial clients on the resource management and environmental aspects of large-scale energy and infrastructure projects, property development, commercial contracts and due diligence investigations.
She particularly advises clients in the fields of electricity generation, utilities, industrial processes, mining, oil and gas, and emissions trading.
She has extensive experience assisting clients in relation to the environmental and planning liabilities in the context of large international commercial transactions and contracts.
Alana was a Senior Associate in Allen & Overy LLPs Global Environmental and Regulatory Law Group in London, and prior to that worked for a specialist Environment and Resource Management practice in New Zealand.
She is recommended by Legal 500: London 2017.
- advised the developers and operators of onshore and offshore windfarms in respect of consenting, renewing and compliance issues
- advised developers of proposed mines on consenting and compliance issues
- advised developers of proposed and existing hydro-electric power schemes on consenting, renewing and compliance issues, including in areas with sensitivity concerns
- acted for developers of mixed use and residential developments in relation to resource consent applications and plan change processes
- advised New Zealand and international oil and gas pipeline and telecommunications utility operators on consenting and designation processes
- advised a chemicals manufacturer in relation to enforcement and emergency response procedures following a significant plant failure
- advised on the mothballing, closure and remediation of both up- and down-stream oil and gas facilities
- advised a range of participants in the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme and the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme on compliance, lobbying and enforcement matters
- advised a number of oil majors in relation to judicial review and European Court of Justice proceedings concerning free allocation under the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme
- advised on commercial arrangements associated with the sale and acquisition of emissions units on both the compliance and voluntary markets as well as advising on projects and financial instruments related to the generation of emissions units
- advised the developer of a proposed £10bn nuclear power station in the United Kingdom on securing all environmental and nuclear regulatory consents and permits
- advised shipping and oil and gas operators in relation to compliance and liabilities associated with offshore spills, and
- provided specialist advice to both local and international corporates, on environmental due diligences (both purchaser and vendor), including coordinating environmental audits and drafting and negotiating relevant contract, warranty and indemnity provisions.