Bevan leads Chapman Tripp's National Tax practice. He advises on a wide range of tax matters, including restructuring, international transactions and transfer pricing, significant mergers and acquisitions (M&A), financing and capital raising transactions, tax disputes and tax risk management. His extensive financial services sector experience, sees him regularly advising financial services businesses on tax rules applicable to banking, insurance and investments/funds management (including PIE rules).
Prior to working at Chapman Tripp, Bevan was with ASB Bank where he had overall responsibility for the tax affairs of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia's New Zealand group, including ASB and Sovereign Life Assurance. This, combined with his experience in private practice, means Bevan is uniquely placed to understand clients' tax requirements.
Bevan is recognised as a leading lawyer in Chambers Asia Pacific 2020.
- Advised on the tax aspects of significant M&A deals including advising ANZ Bank on the sale of its New Zealand life insurance business, AMP on the sale of its New Zealand life insurance business, Tower Limited on the NZ$197m negotiated full takeover made by Fairfax Financial Holdings and the NZ Super Fund on its 41.1% stake in Fidelity Life Assurance Company Limited for NZ$100m.
- Advising all parties involved on high-profile securitisations including the originators (RESIMAC, Turners Automotive Group), trustees (Eclipx, Harmoney), rating agencies (Eclipx, Latitude) and lenders (Thorn/DTR).
- Assisting multinational groups on permanent establishment and transfer pricing related issues arising from high value cross-border arrangements.
- Advised on funding and related arrangements including bank regulatory capital, cross-border lending and reinsurance.
- Advised on all aspects of significant tax disputes with the IRD, including preparing relevant dispute documents, preparing and/or reviewing court documents, managing the discovery process, briefing witnesses, liaising with external counsel and appearing as counsel in High Court proceedings.
- Obtained binding rulings from the IRD on complex commercial and funding transactions.
Member of the Financial Services Council Tax Working Group
Regular presenter at New Zealand and global tax conferences
Previous chair of the NZ Bankers’ Association Tax Working Group