Bevan specialises in taxation law.
Bevan advises on a wide range of tax matters, including restructuring, international transactions and transfer pricing, significant mergers and acquisitions, financing and capital raising transactions, and tax disputes with the Inland Revenue Department (IRD). He has extensive financial services sector experience.
Bevan joined Chapman Tripp in late 2015 from ASB Bank where he had overall responsibility for the tax affairs of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia’s (CBA) New Zealand group, which includes ASB and Sovereign Life Assurance. This, combined with his experience in private practice, means Bevan is uniquely placed to understand clients’ tax requirements.
He is currently a member of the NZ Law Society’s tax committee, having joined that committee in 2010. In the past, he was a member of the New Zealand Bankers’ Association Tax Working Group (and chaired the Group for a 12 month period).
Bevan has presented at a number of tax conferences in New Zealand.
- advised on the tax aspects of significant M&A deals including Sumitomo Corporation’s acquisition of forestry assets from Tasman Bay Forests Company for $370m, and Higgins Group Holdings on its sale to Fletcher Building for $315m
- advised financial services businesses on the tax rules applicable to banking, insurance and investments/funds management (including PIE rules)
- advised on the implementation of new income tax rules for life insurers including managing the commercial impact of the changes
- advised on all aspects of significant tax disputes with the IRD, including preparing relevant dispute documents, preparing and/or reviewing Court documents, managing the discovery process, briefing witnesses, liaising with external counsel and appearing as counsel in High Court proceedings, and
- obtained binding rulings from the IRD on complex commercial and funding transactions.