Brian is a highly-experienced construction and major projects lawyer.
Brian has specialised in projects for over 17 years and was formerly a partner at leading and prestigious US law firm, Shearman & Sterling, where he worked in the Project Development & Finance team.
Brian has extensive experience working on projects both within New Zealand and around the globe in a wide variety of sectors. He has worked on many PPPs and other project finance deals.
Brian has acted for a range of clients including government and council entities, sovereign wealth funds, sponsors, developers, contractors, service providers and lenders on all phases of project development including strategy, procurement and assessing possible procurement models, tendering, probity, contract drafting and negotiation, contract administration and dispute resolution.
Brian is recognised as a leading lawyer in Chambers Global 2016 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2017. He is also recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018.
He has been recognised as a Foreign Expert by Chambers Global 2016 for his work in the Pacific Islands.
Brian has advised:
- on numerous major construction projects as part of the post-earthquake Christchurch rebuild
- on many major infrastructure projects in New Zealand and around the globe such as roading, airport, port, railway, telecommunications, logistics and stadium projects
- on many major healthcare sector construction projects in New Zealand and abroad
- on education sector projects in New Zealand and the Middle East
- developers and contractors on the design and build of many major commercial, retail, leisure and residential developments throughout New Zealand and internationally
- on numerous PPP projects in New Zealand and around the world in the roading, airport, healthcare, power and water sectors
- on many major power (including renewables), water (including wastewater), mining and industrial (including fertiliser) projects both in New Zealand and internationally, and
- on many vast overseas oil and gas projects (both onshore and offshore), including both upstream and downstream aspects such as procurement of drilling rigs; platform and pipeline installations; construction of an oil refinery, petrochemical plants and LNG liquefaction and regasification facilities, converting Very Large Crude Carrier Vessels into Floating Production Storage and Offloading Units.