Bruce leads our Wellington litigation practice, and specialises in commercial, insurance and public law litigation.
Bruce has acted for parties engaged in various forms of commercial litigation, both in the High Court and in private arbitrations, and has significant experience in mediating the settlement of disputes. Highlights include acting for gas sector participants, financial institutions, insurance companies, and public sector agencies.
Bruce has acted for various local and international insurers on a range of public liability, general claims and income protection and health related matters. He also represents the New Zealand commercial fishing industry on a wide range of disputes and public law matters, including assisting with the development and drafting of policy, regulations and legislation.
Bruce is recognised as a leading dispute resolution lawyer by Chambers
Global 2016 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2016. He was awarded the
Client Choice Award ILO (International Law Office) Awards for 2012.
- successfully represented Vector in arbitration and on appeal against the Kapuni Mining Companies relating to Vector’s entitlements to gas from the Kapuni gas field, New Zealand’s oldest producing gas and condensate field
- acted for Sanford on a range of commercial disputes, including in relation to charter agreements, joint ventures and the use of foreign crew on fishing vessels
- advising the Earthquake Commission (EQC) on the discharge of their statutory natural disaster insurance obligations, including litigation and recovery matters, in the wake of the 2010-11 Canterbury earthquakes
- acted for Vector on the Maui pipeline gas leak that disrupted more than 2500 businesses in 2011
- advised Sovereign on a range of health and disability insurance matters
- represented various insurers in litigation concerning both claims made against them as insurers (public liability, income protection and health related claims) as well as their corporate litigation, and
- acted on various commercial transactions and public law disputes for most of New Zealand’s largest fishing companies including Sanford, Sealord, Te Oahu Kai Moana and Talley’s Fisheries.