Specialising in insurance-related and civil litigation, Emily
advises insurer and insured clients on professional indemnity, statutory
liability, public and products liability and general liability matters.
She has acted for a number of different professionals
including valuers, solicitors, real estate agents, accountants, financial
advisers, insurance brokers, engineers and architects in professional
Emily’s experience representing clients in the courts and alternative
dispute forums means that she can adequately prepare clients for these
proceedings. A skilled meditator, Emily can guide parties towards a mutually
- Appeared as junior counsel in a High Court claim successfully defending a firm of solicitors in relation to an alleged breach of undertaking.
- Acted for various individuals/firms in relation to High Court professional negligence claims.
- Acted for numerous professionals in relation to complaints and disciplinary proceedings in the Real Estate Agents Authority, Valuers Registration Board and New Zealand Lawyers and Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Acted for a firm of valuers pursuant to a professional indemnity insurance policy in relation to a complex $100million multi-party claim involving multiple valuations.
- Acted for various professional organisations and individuals, including a number of insurance brokers, in relation to complex insurance claims arising out of the Canterbury earthquakes.
- Appeared as junior counsel in the Royal Commission regarding the Pike River coal mine tragedy for the New Zealand Mines Rescue Service.
Member of the Canterbury
Women's Legal Association