Geof specialises in corporate and securities law, including corporate transactions, capital raising, listed company advice, corporate governance, takeovers and general company law.
Geof has acted for numerous public and private sector companies on takeovers, acquisitions, divestments, private equity investments, joint ventures and other commercial arrangements. He has also advised public sector bodies including the Takeovers Panel, several New Zealand government departments, and the governments of Kenya and Fiji on transactional and law reform matters.
Geof is a past president of the Law and Economics Association of New Zealand. He is Honorary Solicitor to the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts and is on the boards of Wellesley College and the Orpheus Choir. For two years Geof taught the Business Associations course at Victoria University of Wellington. He regularly comments on corporate and securities law.
Geof is recognised as a leading lawyer by legal directories Chambers Global 2016 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2017, and is a regular commentator on securities law and corporate governance.
He is highly recommended by clients for his “action-focused and easy to work with” style - Chambers Global 2016.
Geof has advised:
- Todd Corporation on the A$2b sale of Crown Castle Australia to a consortium led by Macquarie Group
- the previous owners of the New Zealand Institute of Sport on its acquisition by Intueri Education group
- First NZ Capital on the acquisition of Murray & Co Wealth Management
- Infratil, the New Zealand Superannuation Fund, and Z Energy on the $840m initial public offer and associated listing on the NZX Main Board and ASX of Z Energy
- Z Energy on a number of matters relating to its acquisition of Chevron New Zealand
- the New Zealand Treasury on the initial public offer (IPO) and associated NZX listing of Genesis Energy, for which he was a member of the Crown due diligence committee
- ikeGPS on its IPO and NZX Main Board listing
- Victoria University on the establishment and continuation of the MacDiarmid Institute, iPredict and PredictIt
- Creative HQ, the Wellington-based business incubator/accelerator, and several of its start-ups
- the New Zealand Treasury in relation to the retail deposit guarantee scheme and wholesale guarantee scheme
- a number of New Zealand and overseas government entities (including the Takeovers Panel, Treasury, the Debt Management Office, the Reserve Bank, a number of ministries and the governments of Fiji and Kenya) on commercial and law reform matters, and
- numerous other organisations (including ANZ, Beef + Lamb New Zealand, Centreport, HRL Morrison, Infratil, Institute of Directors, Intel, Kiwibank, NZ Post, Paymark, PwC, Shell, The Todd Corporation, UBS, XRB, and Z Energy) on acquisitions, divestments, takeovers, restructurings, joint ventures, capital-raisings, corporate governance and related matters.