Geoff specialises in all aspects of commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
Geoff has more than 19 years’ legal experience and is a senior lawyer in our Christchurch litigation and dispute resolution team. He has appeared at all levels of New Zealand’s judicial system and has represented clients in numerous arbitrations, mediations and negotiations.
Geoff advises clients on a broad range of issues and disputes, including insolvency, insurance, construction, financial recoveries and employment litigation.
Geoff has advised:
- the Earthquake Commission (EQC) in the Canterbury Earthquakes Royal Commission of Inquiry, the settlement of Christchurch City Council’s social housing claims and various contractor and employment disputes
- a livestock company in High Court proceedings arising out of several grazing disputes
- Carter Group and Ngāi Tahu Properties in injunction proceedings against a former consultant
- South Canterbury Finance (in receivership) in proceedings brought by a bank claiming a first ranking security interest in shares
- solicitors, engineers and brokers in High Court professional negligence claims
- a property development company in High Court proceedings against its former advisers in relation to a failure to register covenants
- a construction company in the High Court and Court of Appeal in relation to shareholder contribution proceedings relating to a finance company
- a group of companies in a High Court approved Scheme of Arrangement to restructure the group and delist from the NZX
- a primary sector manufacturer and supplier in numerous financial recovery proceedings and arbitration proceedings arising from commercial and construction disputes
- the receivers of a property development company in relief against forfeiture proceedings in the High Court and Court of Appeal
- a heavy equipment distributor in High Court proceedings alleging the supply of defective engines, and
- the commercial fishing industry on policy, regulatory and compliance issues and litigation, including acting for the industry in the Kahawai, Hector’s dolphins, New Zealand sea lion review proceedings and appeals.