Grant specialises in corporate and commercial law, practising principally in all areas of trade, competition law and mergers and acquisitions for major corporate clients.
Grant also has an ongoing practice in public law, regulatory and other government-related matters.
He has particular expertise in relation to the Commerce Act and has been counsel to many parties before the Commerce Commission. He is one of only four New Zealand lawyers currently listed in the International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers. He is also recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 as a Senior Statesman and Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 recognised him as a leading individual.
Grant has advised:
- Ministry of Māori Development (Te Puni Kōkiri) on legislation intended to further Māori business interests
- some of the largest global firms seeking approval to their expansion within New Zealand, including BHP Steel, International Paper, HJ Heinz Company and Shell International
- some of the largest home-grown New Zealand companies by providing key strategic advice on commercial, competition law and regulatory matters
- Wrightson, Williams & Kettle and Pyne Gould Guinness to amalgamate and become PGG Wrightson
- Lyttelton Ports of Christchurch to pursue its industry rationalisation options, and
- Shell Exploration on the joint selling of gas from the Pohokura field.