Hamish is a construction
and major projects lawyer with international and large-scale project experience.
Hamish has worked on major construction projects, both within New Zealand and around the world, in a variety of sectors including infrastructure, mining, energy, water, oil and gas, commercial and residential. His experience includes both greenfield and brownfield projects, and a significant amount of this experience has involved project finance transactions.
Hamish previously worked for UK ‘magic circle’ law firm Allen & Overy where he spent approximately six years in their Projects team in Dubai, acting for sponsors undertaking major projects in the Gulf region as well as financial institutions, commercial banks and ECAs lending to those projects.
He has advised on a wide range of project procurement models including early contractor involvement, build-only, design-build, full EPC/turnkey, DBO, BOOT, design, build, operate and maintain and PPPs.
Hamish acts for a range of clients including government and council entities, sponsors, developers, contractors, subcontractors, service providers and lenders, and advises on all stages of a project including procurement strategy, tendering and probity, contract drafting and negotiation, contract administration and dispute resolution.
Hamish is recognised as a next generation lawyer in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 and an up and coming lawyer in Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2020.
Hamish has advised:
- on numerous PPP projects in New Zealand and in the Middle East in the roading, power, water, social housing, education and prison sectors
- Fletcher Construction on the New Zealand International Convention Centre project, the Commercial Bay development in Auckland and on its bid for the Metro Sports Facility project in Christchurch
- Fu Wah on the development of a 5 Star Park Hyatt Hotel project at Wynyard Quarter, in Auckland
- Shundi on the development of a 52 story residential tower on Customs Street East, Auckland
- Hobsonville Development Limited Partnership (a joint venture between Ngai Tahu and NZ Superfund) on an affordable housing development at Hobsonville Point, Auckland
- Tauranga Crossing on a large retail development at Taurikura Drive, Tauriko, Tauranga
- Hawkins on a rebuild master solution agreement for IAG NZ’s customer claims following the Christchurch earthquakes
- Development Christchurch Limited on the Christchurch Adventure Park project
- Queenstown Lakes District Council on various major infrastructure projects including the Eastern Access Road construction project, a fixed term contract for the operation, maintenance and management of its roading assets, the upgrade of the Shotover wastewater treatment plant and on a fixed term contract for the operation, maintenance and management of its ‘three water’ assets
- Ballance Agri-Nutrients on the development of an integrated ammonia and urea complex at Kapuni in Taranaki
- Tonga Power Limited on an IPP solar power project in Tonga
- Crown Irrigation on its investment into numerous irrigation schemes around New Zealand
- Mercury on various construction contracts and ancillary project contracts relating to its power plant assets, and
- lenders and sponsors on numerous large-scale project finance transactions in the Middle East in the downstream oil and gas, mining and metal sectors.