Jack is the director of Chapman Tripp’s China desk, advising clients on China related matters in particular. His practice mainly covers real estate and corporate.
Before joining Chapman Tripp in 2014, Jack had 15 years’ legal and commercial experience across the Asia Pacific region. He was an entrepreneur and the legal director of private equity businesses, the senior counsel of Treasury Holdings Group (China), and a legal advisor at Paul Hastings, Allen & Overy, and the Chinese government.
Jack has advised:
- All three Chinese banks (CCB, ICBC and BOC) in New Zealand on various legal and compliance matters
- Country Garden Group on its entry and projects in New Zealand
- CNBM Forest Products New Zealand, a subsidiary of China National Building Materials Group Corporation, on its acquisition of forestry assets, OIO applications, finance and other matters
- Fu Wah International Group on its bid and purchase of land development projects, joint venture in relation to a complex development, and construction of the Park Hyatt hotel in Auckland
- Beijing Sanyuan Food and Allied Faxi on OIO applications in respect of a major asset acquisition involving sensitive land in New Zealand
- Shanghai Pengxin Group and Hunan Dakang Pasture Farming on restructuring Pengxin’s farm assets in New Zealand and Dakang’s NZ$160 million acquisition of farm assets
- Shanghai CRED Real Estate and its New Zealand subsidiary Carrington Jade LPs on various matters including the billion dollar high end Carrington Resort development and operation, cooperation and settlement with local Maori, honey business, holiday park acquisition and OIO issues
- Guangzhou Nimble Group and its New Zealand platform Avanda on acquisition and development of projects in New Zealand, restructuring Avanda and OIO issues
- Treasury Holdings Group (China) on restructuring and establishing a business trust in Singapore to hold its US$1.5 billion Chinese investment portfolios, and listing the trust on the main board of Singapore Exchange
- Major Chinese and international clients on various significant transactions in China and Hong Kong such as cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, restructuring, investment and financing etc., and
- Chinese governments and agencies on various matters including litigation, administration, foreign investments and relationship management.