Janko specialises in dispute resolution with a particular interest in restructuring and insolvency.
Janko advises clients in a variety of commercial disputes. He has particular experience in advising insolvency practitioners on complex issues arising in the course of receivership, liquidation and administration, as well as claims against directors and third parties made by insolvency practitioners. Janko has also acted for directors of companies facing claims by insolvency practitioners and regulatory charges.
Janko has recently returned to Chapman Tripp having worked for 18 months in the banking litigation team at Herbert Smith Freehills in London. While in London, Janko worked as part of a team acting for a major bank and its directors on a significant claim brought by some of the bank's shareholders. Janko previously worked at Chapman Tripp from 2010-2015 in the litigation and restructuring and insolvency teams.
- appeared as counsel in the High Court and as junior counsel in the Court of Appeal
- acted as part of the legal team advising the receivers of many of New Zealand's most significant recent finance receiverships, including South Canterbury Finance
- advised debtors in dealing with their creditors, including advising on creditors' compromises
- acted for financiers in disputes and proceedings concerning relative priorities of their security interests
- acted for creditors in defending insolvent transaction claims
- acted for receivers and liquidators in claims against third parties including directors, and
- acted for businesses in a variety of contractual and tort claims (for both plaintiffs and defendants).