Janko advises clients in a variety of commercial disputes, with a particular focus on restructuring and insolvency.
He has experience advising insolvency practitioners on complex issues arising in the course of receivership, liquidation and administration, including claims against directors and third parties by insolvency practitioners. Janko has also acted for directors of companies facing both civil claims and regulatory charges. He has appeared as counsel in the District Court, High Court and Court of Appeal.
In between stints in Chapman Tripp's litigation and restructuring and insolvency teams, Janko spent 18 months as an associate in the banking litigation team at Herbert Smith Freehills in London. While in London, Janko worked as part of a team acting for a major bank and its directors on a significant claim brought by some of the bank's shareholders.
Recognised as a Rising Star by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020.
- Acted for four of the former directors of Mainzeal Property and Construction Limited defending claims for reckless trading and other breaches of directors' duties.
- Acted as part of the legal team advising the receivers of many of New Zealand's most significant recent finance receiverships, including South Canterbury Finance.
- Advised debtors in dealing with their creditors, including advising on creditors' compromises.
- Acted for financiers in disputes and proceedings concerning relative priorities of their security interests.
- Assisted creditors defending insolvent transaction claims.
- Acted for receivers and liquidators in claims against third parties including directors.
Insolvency Turnaround Association of New Zealand