Jo is a partner in our litigation & dispute resolution team focusing on commercial, employment and resource management matters.
Jo represents numerous clients based in Christchurch and elsewhere in the South Island. She has acted for Meridian Energy in relation to existing water rights and consents to take water for power generation; significant irrigation schemes seeking to take water for irrigation; Christchurch International Airport on numerous consenting and planning issues relating to stormwater and noise; Silver Fern Farms in applications to discharge effluent to rivers; and Orion and Meridian Energy in relation to emissions to air.
In the employment area she acts for large employers such as Ryman Healthcare, Silver Fern Farms and Asure New Zealand.
Jo’s experience in relation to civil disputes is wide and varied, acting on all manner of commercial issues.
Jo is recognised as a leading lawyer by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016.
Jo has advised:
- Meridian Energy on Waitaki-related issues including the applications for consents associated with the North Bank Tunnel Power Station and the Hunter Downs Irrigation Scheme
- Christchurch International Airport on numerous resource consents and plan issues, particularly in relation to noise and bird strike issues
- irrigators in relation to large-scale dairy conversions and in particular the contentious Lynton Dairy decision
- employers such as Ryman Healthcare in collective employment negotiations and accompanying litigation, and
- Silver Fern Farms (a large meat marketing company and one of New Zealand’s largest employers) for more than 15 years on employment issues from personal grievances to major strikes.