John is a senior commercial litigator specialising in
construction law, insurance law and media law.
With over 30 years' experience in commercial
litigation, John appears as counsel and advises on complex and high value
construction disputes, professional indemnity claims, defamation proceedings,
product liability litigation and rent review arbitrations.
He acts for clients from all sectors of the
construction industry, including contractors, principals, engineers,
financiers, suppliers and manufacturers.
One of the few true specialist media lawyers in New
Zealand, John has extensive experience advising on media law issues, including
acting for a major publishing company for many years in high profile defamation
John is recognised as a Band 1 lawyer in Chambers
Asia Pacific 2020, a leading lawyer by Chambers Global 2020 and a leading individual in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020.
- Representing BlueScope Steel in defending a large High Court claim relating to the sale of an ironsands mine.
- Provided dispute resolution and strategic advice to numerous infrastructure projects including tunnels, power stations, wastewater treatment plants, state highways, airports, commercial high-rise, ocean outfalls, event centres and wastewater and stormwater networks.
- Representing James Hardie in relation to class action leaky building claims.
- Acted for leading New Zealand and Australian engineering consultancy firms on matters in New Zealand, Australia and several other offshore jurisdictions.
- Acted for landlords and tenants in multi-million dollar rent review arbitrations.
- Represented the media, high net worth individuals and politicians in defamation cases.
- Acted for parties in High Court cases relating to unsuccessful takeovers involving publicly listed companies.
Member of the New Zealand Society of Construction Law
Arbitrators and Mediators Association of NZ