Justin specialises in commercial litigation, intellectual property, iwi governance issues, insurance, privacy and technology, media and telecommunications.
Justin is experienced at managing and resolving complex commercial litigation and disputes. He has frequently appeared as counsel in civil proceedings in the High Court and Court of Appeal, and in international and domestic arbitrations, and specialist tribunals such as the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand.
He is experienced at handling claims and policy matters for insurers and reinsurers, as well as in forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Justin is a member of Te Waka Ture, our Māori Legal Group. He lectures at the University of Auckland, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, in corporate transactions and intellectual property law and is the author of the New Zealand chapter of International Copyright Law published by Globe Law and Business.
- acted in both High Court and arbitration proceedings involving complex IT project disputes
- successfully defended the Ministry of Social Development in High Court litigation brought by Te Whanau O Waipareira Trust
- advised insurers and reinsurers on a range of insurance issues including professional indemnity, general liability and life insurance matters
- advised Waikato-Tainui Te Kauhanganui Incorporated on governance issues
- advised Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei on Māori land issues
- acted in a major multi-million dollar international arbitration involving the sale of a major piece of New Zealand infrastructure on sensitive land to offshore interests
- acted in both the High Court and Court of Appeal in the Hosking privacy litigation
- advised and assisted Microsoft Corporation in the execution of a search warrant following a multi-national investigation into an internet pirate leading to one of the few criminal convictions under the Copyright Act 1994
- acted for major Hollywood studios in copyright proceedings
- advised various media on pre-publication, defamation, contempt and fair trading issues, and
- advised in patent litigation, cartel proceedings, domain name arbitrations, trademark infringement cases and applications for interim relief.