Justin specialises in commercial litigation, intellectual property, iwi governance issues, insurance, privacy and technology, media and telecommunications.
He is experienced at managing and resolving complex commercial litigation and disputes. Justin has frequently appeared as counsel in civil proceedings in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, in international and domestic arbitrations, and specialist tribunals such as the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand. He is the National Convenor for Chapman Tripp's litigation practice.
Justin is a member of Te Waka Ture, our Māori Legal Group and has advised Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei on Māori land issues.
He is also experienced at handling claims and policy matters for insurers and reinsurers, as well as in forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Justin lectures at the University of Auckland, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, in corporate transactions, iwi governance and intellectual property law and is the author of the New Zealand chapter of International Copyright Law published by Globe Law and Business. He is recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019.
- acted as counsel to Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei in its landmark win in the Supreme Court seeking to uphold rights of ahi ka and mana whenua in Tamaki Makaurau in judicial review proceedings against the Crown
- acted as counsel in several defamation proceedings, including the rare experience of appearing in a lengthy defamation jury trial
- acted, with fellow partner Matt Sumpter, as counsel to Fisher & Paykel Healthcare in long-running, complex patent litigation
- acted in both High Court and arbitration proceedings involving complex IT project disputes
- successfully defended the Ministry of Social Development in High Court litigation brought by Te Whanau O Waipareira Trust
- advised insurers and reinsurers on a range of insurance issues including professional indemnity, general liability and life insurance matters
- advised Waikato-Tainui Te Kauhanganui Incorporated on governance issues
- acted in a major multi-million dollar international arbitration involving the sale of a major piece of New Zealand infrastructure on sensitive land to offshore interests
- acted in both the High Court and Court of Appeal in the Hosking privacy litigation
- advised and assisted Microsoft Corporation in the execution of a search warrant following a multi-national investigation into an internet pirate leading to one of the few criminal convictions under the Copyright Act 1994
- acted for major Hollywood studios in copyright proceedings
- advised various media on pre-publication, defamation, privacy, contempt and fair trading issues, and
- advised in patent litigation, cartel proceedings, domain name arbitrations, trade mark infringement cases and applications for interim relief.