Kara specialises in financial services regulation, funds and corporate law.
She has more than 25 years’ experience in corporate, commercial, securities and financial services law and practice with a particular focus on managed funds, debt capital markets, insurance, information technology and fintech innovation.
Kara is a trusted adviser to a wide range of financial services clients and other corporates, regularly advising on wholesale and retail investment fund structures, debt issues, insurance law and related financial services regulatory compliance and risk.
Kara has advised:
- a major financial services business on all aspects of its insurance, funds management, non-bank deposit taker and financial advice regulatory compliance as well as governance matters and restructuring advice
- a licensed fund manager on the acquisition of the management rights in relation to a third party KiwiSaver scheme and superannuation scheme
- a financial services provider on the restructure of its business operations to become registered as a charitable entity
- on the contractual and governance framework for the newly launched API Centre by Payments NZ Limited, which will support open banking initiatives in New Zealand
- a range of financial service providers on the Financial Services Legislation Amendment Act and the imminent changes to the Financial Advice regulatory regime
- a wide range of fund managers and their licensed Supervisors on transition of their products to the Financial Markets Conduct Act regime and regulatory compliance relating to their regulated financial products
- a fire and general insurer on policy interpretation and claims management arising out of the Christchurch earthquakes and new general insurance policy wording
- a new licensed life insurer on its range of life and disability policies, and regulatory compliance, including for compliance with the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Act
- on a wholesale unit trust structure for a small cryptocurrency trader to allow investment by close business associates and relatives, and
- a Fintech start-up on a proposed digital token sale and development of a peer to peer insurance platform.