Luke specialises in corporate and securities law, focusing on mergers and acquisitions.
He advises clients on a wide range of corporate transactions, including private mergers and acquisitions, takeovers, joint ventures, reorganisations and capital raisings. Luke also advises clients on regulatory matters, including issues arising under the overseas investment regime and the Takeovers Code.
Luke joined Chapman Tripp in 2015 from global law firm White & Case, having worked in their London and Johannesburg offices. In London and Johannesburg, Luke advised on a broad range of international and domestic transactions, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets and cross-border reorganisations.
In New Zealand, Luke has advised:
- AMP on the sale of AMP Life to Resolution Life Group for A$3.3b
- Canadian roofing company IKO on its acquisition of Fletcher Building's international roofing products manufacturer Roof Tile Group
- ANZ Bank on its sale of OnePath Life NZ for $700m to specialist global insurer Cigna Corporation
- Mercury on the unincorporated joint venture full takeover offer with Infratil to acquire Tilt Renewables, which resulted in 20% and 65% holdings
- Trilogy International on its
- sale to CITIC Capital Partners Limited for $205m
- acquisition of 80% of Lanocorp New Zealand
- underwritten $20m placement, $5m share purchase plan, and its ASX listing application, and The Business Bakery on its $30m block trade, and
- acquisition of cosmetics importer and distributor, CS Company
- Shell on the sale of its New Zealand upstream oil & gas operations to Vienna-based OMV for $794m
- New Zealand Superannuation Fund on its 41.1% investment in licensed insurer Fidelity Life
- ACG Education on its acquisition of certain assets of Intueri Education Group
- Waterman Capital on the establishment of its $200m third private equity fund
- Turners, an NZX-listed company, on its acquisition of the Autosure Insurance business from Suncorp New Zealand
- Farm Brands on the merger of Wallace Corporation and the Farm Brands group
- Higgins Group Holdings on its sale to NZX and ASX-listed Fletcher Building for $315m, and
- Evolution Healthcare on its acquisition of the Acurity Health Group