Matt is a commercial real estate, property and construction law specialist.
Leading Chapman Tripp’s national property and real estate and construction team, Matt advises clients on the acquisition and disposal of commercial properties, complex commercial and residential developments and widespread leasing work across the office, retail and industrial sectors.
He has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating tender and construction documentation for infrastructure and commercial developments, with a particular focus on alliance contracting.
Matt is recognised as a leading lawyer in Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, a leading individual in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020, and a notable practitioner by IFLR1000 2020.
- Advising Willis Bond & Co on the development of the 132 Halsey, Wynyard Central and 30 Madden luxury apartment projects at Wynyard Quarter, Auckland, together with the development of Sunderland A (residential) and Catalina Bay (mixed use commercial offices, retail and apartments) at Hobsonville Point, Auckland
- Providing ongoing advice to City Rail Link Limited on the alliance arrangements for the City Rail Link development, Auckland
- Acting for Precinct Properties on the retail components of the Commercial Bay development, comprising 18,000m2 of retail across over 100 stores, including food and beverage precincts
- Acted for NZ Transport Agency on tender and construction matters for multiple roading projects, including the competitive alliance for the $1.5b Waterview Tunnel and Interchange project
- Advised CPPIB on its acquisition from PSPIB of a 50% interest in a $1.1b portfolio of commercial office and retail centres across New Zealand
- Advised GIC Real Estate on its acquisition from Scentre Group of a 49% interest in five Westfield New Zealand shopping centres for $1b
Member of the New Zealand Society of Construction Law