Matt specialises in construction and commercial property law.
Matt advises clients on the acquisition and disposal of commercial properties, complex commercial and residential developments and widespread leasing work across the office, retail and industrial sectors. He has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating tender and construction documentation for both infrastructure and commercial developments, with a particular focus on alliance contracting.
He is the Head of Chapman Tripp’s national property and real estate and construction team and is a member of the New Zealand Society of Construction Law.
Matt is recognised as a leading lawyer in Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, a leading individual in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020, and a notable practitioner by IFLR1000 2020.
Matt has advised:
- Willis Bond & Co on the development of the 132 Halsey, Wynyard Central and 30 Madden residential apartment projects at Wynyard Quarter, Auckland
- Willis Bond on the development of Sunderland A (residential) and Catalina Bay (mixed use commercial offices, retail and apartments), both at Hobsonville Point, Auckland
- Precinct Properties on the retail components of the Commercial Bay development (18,000m2 of retail across 100+ stores, including food and beverage precincts)
- NZ Transport Agency on tender and construction matters for multiple roading projects, including the competitive alliance for the $1.5b Waterview Tunnels and Interchange project
- CPPIB on its acquisition from PSPIB of a 50% interest in a $1.1b portfolio of commercial office and retail centres across New Zealand
- GIC Real Estate on its acquisition from Scentre Group of a 49% interest in five Westfield New Zealand shopping centres for $1b
- McDougall Reidy & Co on the development of Botanica Mt Eden, a 60 unit residential development in Mt Eden, Auckland
- Precinct Properties on the acquisition of Downtown Shopping Centre ($90m) and HSBC House ($103m), Auckland
- Kiwi Income Property Trust on the $100m sale of its office complex at 205 Queen Street, Auckland, and
- McDougall Reidy & Co and Haydn & Rollett on the development and leasing of Carlaw Park as a commercial office, retail and accommodation precinct, including a 700 room accommodation precinct leased to Auckland University for student accommodation.