Melanie is a senior associate specialising in commercial litigation and dispute resolution. She has particular expertise in insurance, contractual and statutory interpretation, tort and estate law and the Public Works Act.
Melanie has 16 years’ experience managing and resolving disputes for both private and public sector clients. She has assisted clients across a wide range of business and industry groups. Melanie’s focus is to work with the client to devise the best strategy to resolve the issue it faces, whether that be by providing advice to the client towards an informal resolution or de-escalation of a dispute, a negotiated settlement, mediation, arbitration or court action.
- advised the Earthquake Commission on various claims and litigation
- assisted with the successful conduct of judicial review proceedings against a local authority in relation to an illegal road designation. Injunctive relief was obtained and a significant costs order was made in favour of the client
- assisted Queens Counsel with the successful conduct of a breach of contract claim against a financial advisor, followed by a successful application for increased costs
- advised on the successful defence of a claim brought against two manufacturing industry clients by a former shareholder involving allegations of prejudicial and misleading conduct, breach of contract, conversion and detinue
- assisted with the successful defence of a declaratory judgment claim by successors of owners of land taken for completion of a motorway under the Public Works Act 1981
- assisted with the successful defence to an application to register two large foreign judgments in New Zealand under the Reciprocal Enforcement of Judgments Act 1934
- assisted with a successful application by a major New Zealand bank to High Court for indemnity costs following the abandonment of a claim. The judgment was later upheld by the Court of Appeal
- assisted with the successful defence of an application for a declaratory judgment in relation to certain coastal permits under the Resource Management Act 1991 and whether they are rateable under the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002
- represented a Crown Agency at a number of coroner’s hearings, and
- represented clients in relation to claims made under the Forest and Rural Fires Act 1977.