Michael co-leads our restructuring and insolvency practice and is a highly experienced commercial litigator.
Michael regularly acts on commercial and property disputes with a particular emphasis on the finance sector. He represents and advises insolvency practitioners and creditors on all aspects of corporate insolvency processes.
Michael has a particular interest in the law of secured transactions. He frequently writes and speaks about Personal Property Securities issues. Throughout his career, Michael has advised insurers and insureds, including defending insured liability claims. He often advises on matters where insurance and insolvency intersect.
Michael has over 25 years’ legal experience and is ranked as a top tier insolvency lawyer by independent legal directories Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 and IFLR1000 2014. He is recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018.
In late 2015, Michael was appointed to a Ministerial Expert Working Group to give advice to the Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs on aspects of corporate insolvency.
Michael has advised:
- the receivers of many of New Zealand’s most significant recent finance receiverships, including Capital + Merchant Finance, North South Finance, South Canterbury Finance and Strategic Finance
- four major trading banks in upholding Solid Energy's Part 14 Creditors' compromise
- debtors in dealing with their creditors, including advising ACS (Ansvar Insurance) on its exit from the market, including establishing a contingent scheme of arrangement, the first scheme of its type in New Zealand
- financiers in disputes and proceedings concerning relative priorities of their security interests
- receivers and liquidators in claims against third parties including directors
- insureds and claimants on insurance arrangements including under Directors' and Officers' and professional indemnity policies, and
- various creditors in settling disputes arising under the Personal Property Securities Act.