Michael is a partner in our finance team. He also leads our restructuring & insolvency law team.
Michael has been involved in most of New Zealand's significant restructurings and insolvencies over the last five years. He has extensive international restructuring and insolvency experience, having worked in Hong Kong, Tokyo, Bangkok and London.
Michael is recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific 2017, IFLR1000 and Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a leading lawyer in restructuring & insolvency.
Michael has advised:
- Solid Energy’s five major bank lenders in relation to the $450m voluntary administration, the largest and most complicated voluntary administration in New Zealand history
- KordaMentha, the receivers of the Stonewood Homes Group
- the directors of a number of distressed companies on the restructuring of their financial indebtedness
- the voluntary administrators of Icon Digital, which was New Zealand’s first major voluntary administration
- the New Zealand Bankers' Association on the Insolvency Law Reform Bill
- KordaMentha as receivers of Mediaworks, and
- the receivers of Capital + Merchant Finance, Bridgecorp, NZF Money, Boston Finance, Belgrace Finance, Equitable, North South Finance and Mutual Finance.