Mieke advises clients on a wide range of New Zealand tax matters including structuring, policy and legislative outcomes, cross-border investments and tax disputes.
Prior to joining Chapman Tripp, Mieke gained experience in two top-tier law firms, specialising in tax and finance. Mieke has also worked in the anti-money laundering team at an international law firm and financial institution in London.
- advised a financial institution on the establishment of an offshore branch, including the preparation, review and negotiation of the commercial agreements and advising on the drafting of the associated legislation
- advised a wide range of financial institutions on the application of the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009 (AML Act) including assisting various entities in implementing AML/CFT Compliance Programmes and Risk Assessments
- provided advice to the funds management sector on portfolio and non-portfolio investments in relation to the establishment of PIE compliant funds
- advised the firm’s corporate and employment clients on KiwiSaver, PAYE, FBT, withholding tax and GST
- undertaken due diligence and providing tax / corporate advice on sale and purchase transactions
- structured land transactions around the associated persons and anti-avoidance rules
- represented corporate and private clients in settlement negotiations, including appearance at conferences, and
- successfully settled a wide range of taxation disputes with IRD.