Mieke advises clients on a wide range of New Zealand tax matters including structuring, policy and legislative outcomes, cross-border investments and tax disputes.
Prior to joining Chapman Tripp, Mieke gained experience in two top tier law firms, specialising in tax and finance. Mieke has also worked in the anti-money laundering team at an international law firm and financial institution in London.
- advised a financial institution on the establishment of an offshore branch, including the preparation, review and negotiation of the commercial agreements and advising on the drafting of the associated legislation
- advised a wide range of financial institutions on the application of the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009 (AML Act) including assisting various entities in implementing AML/CFT Compliance Programmes and Risk Assessments
- provided advice to the funds management sector on portfolio and non-portfolio investments in relation to the establishment of PIE compliant funds
- advised the firm’s corporate and employment clients on KiwiSaver, PAYE, FBT, withholding tax and GST
- undertaken due diligence and providing tax / corporate advice on sale and purchase transactions
- structured land transactions around the associated persons and anti-avoidance rules
- represented corporate and private clients in settlement negotiations, including appearance at conferences, and
- successfully settled a wide range of taxation disputes with IRD.