Mike is a partner in our corporate & commercial team specialising in investment, funds and savings products, with an emphasis on workplace savings, Kiwisaver, superannuation and financial services regulation.
Mike acts for the trustees and promoters of numerous major workplace
savings, KiwiSaver and superannuation schemes throughout New Zealand. He
also acts as Legal Counsel for Workplace Savings NZ.
Mike’s KiwiSaver and retail superannuation clients include AMP, Westpac
and the Anglican Church Pension Board. He and his team also act for other
restricted KiwiSaver schemes and currently over 30 employer-based
superannuation schemes. Mike is top ranked as a leading investment funds lawyer (Band 1) by Chambers Asia Pacific 2017, he is also recognised as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018.
Mike has a strong interest in policy and compliance issues and has been
instrumental in recent years in a number of superannuation and KiwiSaver
legislative reforms and industry exemptions. He was a member of the
Savings Product Working Group whose recommendations led to the KiwiSaver
Mike is a long-standing Councillor of Workplace Savings New Zealand and
a former Chairman of the Association of Superannuation Funds of New Zealand. He
regularly presents at industry conferences.
Mike has advised:
- a wide range of KiwiSaver, workplace savings and superannuation schemes on transitioning into and complying with the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013
- on how best to address the governance, custodial and other compliance issues affecting restricted schemes under the FMCA
- on successful FMCA exemption applications for superannuation and workplace savings schemes
- on numerous large-scale FMA-approved or consents-based bulk transfers between retirement schemes
- on scheme amalgamations under transitional enabling provisions in the FMCA
- on the procedural and documentary requirements for winding up superannuation schemes
- on pension commutation and member cash-out offers
- on the remediation of various technical issues affecting retirement schemes or confronting industry participants
- on technical, policy and other aspects of the KiwiSaver legislation (and on related issues such as processing hardship and serious illness withdrawals and dealing with bankrupt members’ entitlements)
- on numerous major superannuation scheme restructurings in areas such as adding member investment choice and amending contributions and benefits designs (and on new scheme establishments)
- on master trust solutions for small-scale pensions-based and other defined benefit schemes, and
- on administration, secretarial, consulting, investment, custodial and other services agreements for a wide range of retirement scheme clients.