Neil specialises in competition, regulatory and antitrust law.
With extensive experience engaging with regulators, Neil focuses on merger proposals, formal investigations of alleged anti-competitive conduct and industry-specific regulatory issues. He has instructed various domestic and international parties on cartel enforcement matters, including Commerce Commission investigations and participation in the Commission’s leniency policy.
Advising across a range of industries, he has particular expertise in telecommunications, oil and gas (both upstream and downstream), post and electricity. He also advises a number of primary sector clients including those in the meat and fishing industries.
Recognised as a Band 1 lawyer in Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 and as a leading individual by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020.
- Advising Z Energy on its acquisition of Chevron New Zealand’s downstream business, including its Caltex service station network.
- Assisting global online travel company Expedia Inc on its acquisition of Australian travel agency Wotif.
- Advising Vector on its acquisition of Arc Innovations, Meridian Energy's smart metering business, and on acquisition Contact Energy’s gas metering business.
- Instructing Boral on its global joint venture with USG Corporation.
- Assisting BlueScope Steel (NZ) on its acquisition of the assets of Pacific Steel Group’s steel production business from Fletcher Steel.
- Acting for Universal music on its global acquisition of EMI’s recorded music business.