Nicholas specialises in commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
Nicholas provides clear, focused and practical advice on dealing with commercial disputes, civil litigation and arbitration, as well as on managing the risk of disputes before they arise.
He advises clients on a wide range of issues including complex contractual and commercial disputes, tort law, intellectual property and administrative law.
Nicholas is a co-author of McGechan on Procedure (Thomson Reuters, Wellington), a leading textbook on civil procedure in the higher courts of New Zealand, as well as the author of the third edition of Butterworths Questions and Answers: Public Law (3rd ed, LexisNexis, Wellington, 2014). In recent years, he has also presented a number of national seminars on contract law for a leading legal publisher.
- provided regular advice to the Earthquake Commission on claims, litigation and other issues
- successfully resisted a summary judgment application in the High Court in respect of a multi-million-dollar insurance claim
- drafted submissions for, and appeared as junior counsel in, important declaratory judgment proceedings heard by the Full Court of the High Court of New Zealand in determining the scope of the Earthquake Commission’s liability where multiple claims were made on the Commission in a series of earthquakes (reported as In re Earthquake Commission  3 NZLR 695 (HC))
- drafted submissions for and appeared as junior counsel on behalf of a regulated entity during major High Court litigation involving appeals by various regulated entities against input methodologies determinations made by the Commerce Commission
- advised on various issues related to airport pricing and airline alliances
- researched and provided detailed advice to a major bank on allegations by a customer of oppressive conduct under the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act 2003 in respect of multi-million-dollar lending
- co-ordinated and assisted in the preparation of substantial written evidence and submissions for major High Court litigation involving contractual and competition law issues in the context of gas and petroleum joint ventures
- researched and drafted numerous opinions for internal and external clients covering a wide range of legal issues, and
- drafted numerous court documents in a wide range of civil litigation.