Peter specialises in all aspects of commercial property law, with a particular focus on retail development leasing and commercial office leasing. Peter also has expertise in obtaining consent under the Overseas Investment Act for overseas investments in New Zealand.
Peter advises clients on the acquisition and disposal of large commercial properties, as well as complex leasing work across the retail and office sectors. He regularly assists clients with due diligence investigations and management of substantial commercial property portfolios, and offers specialised Overseas Investment Act advice, as well as complementary expertise in broader corporate and commercial matters.
Peter has advised:
- Precinct Properties with all aspects of its large retail leasing project at Commercial Bay, Auckland, including negotiating leases with major brands such as Rodd & Gunn, Saxon + Parole, Furla and Superette
- Acurity Health Group on its sale and leaseback of three hospitals (Bowen, Wakefield and Royston), sold to NZX-listed Vital Healthcare Property Trust for $122m, including providing Overseas Investment Act advice and negotiating the development agreement for the significant Wakefield Hospital redevelopment
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its acquisition of a 50% interest in PSP’s $1 billion commercial property portfolio, including preparing the Overseas Investment Act application and managing the OIO process through to consent
- Arvida Group Limited on all property related aspects of its acquisition of three retirement villages (Mary Doyle Lifecare in Havelock North, Strathallan Lifecare in Timaru and 50% of Village at the Park Lifecare in Wellington) for $106m
- Chinese real estate group Shanghai CRED and its New Zealand subsidiaries on a range of matters relating to the Carrington Resort in Northland, including luxury resort development and operation, property management and acquisitions, and cooperation with local communities and iwi
- Fonterra on its design and build development agreement and long-term lease with Auckland Airport for its state-of-the-art 11,000 square metre distribution centre for Fonterra’s New Zealand consumer business
- Shanghai Pengxin in relation to its investments in the ‘Crafar Farms’ in the central North Island and Synlait Farms in South Canterbury
- First Gas on all property related aspects of its $200m acquisition of the Ahuroa gas facility from Contact Energy
- ANZ in respect of its funding of numerous residential property developments throughout New Zealand
- AMI Insurance on its structural separation and $380m sale to IAG following the Christchurch earthquake
- private and corporate international investors on applications to the Overseas Investment Office for commercial property, forests, farms, vineyards and lifestyle properties
- overseas and local investors on the acquisition and divestment of significant commercial property throughout New Zealand, including negotiating contracts for sale, undertaking due diligence, financing and completing settlement.