Philip specialises in corporate and securities law with a particular focus on equity capital markets and mergers and acquisitions.
Philip acts for issuers, arrangers and underwriters on all aspects of IPOs and capital raisings. He also advises on mergers and acquisitions, takeovers and other corporate law issues, including listed company compliance and corporate governance.
He has acted on many of New Zealand's most significant recent IPOs and NZX listings and other equity capital markets transactions.
Philip has advised:
- Mercury NZ Ltd on the sale of its smart-metering business, Metrix, to intelliHUB Group for a cash consideration of $270m
- Datamars SA on its acquisition of the retail solutions and milk meters businesses of Tru-Test, a leading agricultural technology business
- ASX-listed SRG on its acquisition of TBS Group, a leading industrial maintenance and services business
- Pencarrow Private Equity on its acquisitions of interests in MMC, Mix, BeGroup and Bell Tea and Coffee Company
- Heartland Bank on its $59m pro rata rights issue and shortfall bookbuild
- Steel & Tube on its $80.9m placement, pro rata rights issue and shortfall bookbuild
- New Zealand King Salmon and Direct Capital on the $77.5m IPO and NZX Main Board and ASX listing of New Zealand King Salmon
- NZME on its demerger from APN News & Media, its subsequent listing on the NZX Main Board and ASX, and the proposed merger with Fairfax New Zealand
- Partners Life on Blackstone Group's $200m investment into the insurer
- Deutsche Craigs as bookrunner and underwriter for Chevron New Zealand's block trade sale of its 11.3% stake in The New Zealand Refining Company for $82m
- First NZ Capital and Credit Suisse (Australia) as underwriters of Kiwi Property Group's $152m accelerated renounceable entitlement offer, Precinct Properties' $174m accelerated renounceable entitlement offer and SKYCITY's $263m accelerated renounceable entitlement offer, and
- on two of the New Zealand Government's Mixed Ownership Model programme transactions: the Treasury on the $736m IPO and NZX and ASX listing of Genesis Energy, and Mighty River Power (now Mercury) on its $1.7b IPO and NZX and ASX listing.